Messiah's history began in 1868 when a Methodist Society was organized with services held in area homes and the Plymouth Grange Hall. Circuit riding ministers who assisted in these services were welcomed by the congregation and often paid with food and lodging rather than a salary. It was an honor for church members to be able to say “the preacher stayed with us last night.”
Our first chapel—a log one—was built for Sunday services on the north shore of Parker’s Lake in 1871 - the current site of Pillar Homes on County Road 6. This structure burned to the ground in 1887 and again the congregation met in homes and the Plymouth Grange Hall.
The New Methodist Episcopal Church was built by members on the same site as the burned church in 1889. The altar for this new church was hand carved by Peter Winnen. The Sunday School membership was approximately 50 persons. By 1911, we were ready for improvements and a basement with dining room and kitchen was added.
Another addition in 1947 added Sunday School classrooms. In November of that year a fire destroyed the section of the church built in 1889, but the new addition was spared. Services were held in the parsonage. Starting in 1948, the church was again rebuilt on the same location with completion in 1953.
Construction of the present structure on County Road 6 and Olive Lane began in July, 1964 with current member, Thomas Turnham as chairman of the building committee. During construction, services were held atOakwood School. The Consecration Service was celebrated in 1965. The church was renamed Messiah United Methodist Church in 1966.
We had more additions and renovations in 1985 and 1999, adding our current Sanctuary, new offices and classrooms for Kids’ Care Connection, a child care centerresiding in the building.
We have completed enlarging the Sanctuary (2009) at Messiah United Methodist Church. Come and worship with us in our beautiful new space!
Sunday Worship Services
* Traditions - 8:45 a.m. Organ, choir* Journey - 10:30 a.m. Praise band, current music
Phone 763-473-6968 17805 County Road 6 Plymouth, MN 55447
Just west of County Road 101 Find us on Google Maps
Messiah United Methodist Church | 17805 County Road 6 | Plymouth, Minnesota 55447 | 763-473-6968Loving God, Loving Each Other, Loving the World